Monday 9 April 2012

Home Hill: Tasmanian Boutique Vineyard, Winery and Restaurant


The Home Hill is a uniquely style Boutique Vineyard, Winery and Restaurant situated in the heart of Huon Valley. It is surrounded by acres of vineyards and lush green meadows to gape upon. They offer a remarkable country retreat to most Tasmanians and tourists alike over the years. You can indulge in gourmet culinary treats made from local fresh ingredients and savor award winning wines made to perfection in their backyard.  

HOW TO GET THERE:

From Hobart take the A6 road for approximately 30 minutes toward Huon Valley. Turn off on Lollara Rd when you see the Home Hill sign.

WHAT TO EXPECT:

During my first visit to Home Hill, I didn’t really expect to have a surprise. However, I was already stunned of the scenery along the way. Gazing to the lush bushes and the picturesque view of the mountains made the 30-minute journey quite calming. When we finally arrive to the destination, I was blown away. It was “the” most impressive restaurant I have been. For one the location is somewhat remote that you can just continue to adore the rich vineyards around the restaurant. As we enter, we were greeted by barrels of wine, literally. Then I come to know that Home Hill is an award winning winery.

It produces award-winning wines ranging from delectable Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sylvaner Sparkling Cuvee and a Late Harvest Sticky wine. It was the Holidays season when my friends and I came to visit and you guessed it, a lot of wine bargains and some other great souvenirs. I did a couple of wine tasting and it was awesome. I grabbed a bottle of Chardonnay for $15 and a scarf to take home with me straight away.

My friends and I settled down a bit before we made our orders and did some photo shoot with the vast vineyards as our backdrop. The landscape is incomparable. After all the boutique restaurant sits in the centre of the beautiful Huon Valley. After several photos we were ready to make our order.

Ok, it was my first dining experience in Tasmania and I must admit I do not have any idea on what to order. For entrée, there were heaps of options already, from Bruny Island oysters, Salad of baby beets, Calendar goats cheese, pine nut crumb, Huon Aquaculture salmon pastrami, roasted coriander seeds, Smoked wagyu brisket, pot-au-feu, root vegetables and many others. These dishes were all added with its signature wines. But for me, I got the freshly baked sourdough, Meander Valley Saint Omar cultured butter, Pendleton Estate lemon pressed olive oil for $3. By the way they have different menu for different seasons. To continue with the main dish; again there’s a wide range of selection from salmon, duck, lamb, beef and pork dishes. I had the Char grilled Huon Salmon, local kipfler potatoes, seasonal greens, saffron and cuvee sauce for $30, although there were other delicious selections like the 14 day dry aged beef scotch fillet, creamed potato, roasted Huon mushrooms, mountain pepper jus, Pan seared lamb rack, ratatouille, creamed polenta, Crisp skin confit duck, turnip gratin, beurre monte and a rabbit dish, which I was not fond of. So now, time for dessert. You’ve got to choose from Conflouti, Rich chocolate Marquise, lemongrass anglaise, passion fruit ice-cream, Fondant apple, butter caramel, cinnamon ice-cream, Vanilla pannacotta, poached Autumn berries, sorbet. For me, I selected the classic Pavlova, smoldered with peaches and cream. Definitely satisfying dining experience.

In addition to the excellent meals, the restaurant also has exceptional first class service. You can also, see through the kitchen and watch how they delightfully create a culinary masterpiece for their guest. Overall, 5-star experience for me considering ambiance, meals and service. Great food trip!

COST/BUDGET:

Firstly, I think the cost is reasonable enough to experience the great ambiance and the great food. But if you are a back packer or a budget traveller, then I would not suggest Home Hill to be part of your itinerary. But I would suggest to take a visit of the place and have wine tasting or at least have an entrée. A budget of at least $65 per person is more than enough to enjoy a complete meal with drinks.

OPENING/CLOSING HOURS:

The Home Hill opens from Monday to Sunday 12pm – 3pm for lunch and Friday to Saturday 6pm late for Dinner (booking and reservation required).

PERSONAL RATING: 4/5

RECOMMENDATION:

Perfect for couples, family and friends dining experience: Highly recommended for special occasion treats, weddings, anniversary etc., romantic dinner date or just chillin’ out with friends. 

For more information check out their website: http://homehillwines.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment